A Healthy Valentine Treat- Cranberry Digestives
Low in fat and sugar, this delicious biscuit will not fail to please
There’s nothing wrong with having a treat and what’s really important is that you should be very choosy about which ones you have! If it can be tasty, healthy and naughty as well that’s not a bad thing. At only 50 calories a biscuit these will be a treat to incorporate into any healthy diet you are considering.
- 50 gms butter
- 150 gms plain wholewheat flour
- 50 gms oat bran
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp bicorbanate of soda
- 3 – 4 tsp of milk
- 75 gms dark sugar
- 50 gms dried cranberries
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl, tipping in any bran left in the sieve. Add the oat bran and sugar, and mix well to combine.
- Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add chopped cranberries. Add 3 tbsp of the milk and stir it in well so the mixture comes together to form a soft dough. If the mixture is a little dry, add the remaining 1 tbsp milk.
- Turn the dough and wrap with cling film and chill for about 30 minutes. (It can be kept for up to 4 days in the fridge.)
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF, gas mark 5). Unwrap the dough and, roll on a lightly floured surface, until 5 mm thick, cut using a heart shaped cutter. Use the greaseproof paper to line a baking sheet, and place the biscuits on it. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. They can be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days.