A Healthy, Tasty, Chocolate and Beetroot Cake
Low in sugar, no-fat and gluten free. This delightful cake will become a family favourite.
Is it really possible to have a healthy chocolate cake? This recipe does not contain any fat and the reduced amount of sugar is a bonus. It does use 200 g of dark chocolate and it is recommended that use dark chocolate with atleast 70% of cocoa solids as this will give an amazing tasting cake. This form of chocolate is actually good for you! Please read about my earlier blog post about the benefits of eating dark chocolate. If you cut the cake into 12 slices it is only 210 calories per slice.
- 250 g raw beetroot
- 120 gms ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 200 gms dark chocolate with minimum of 70 % cocoa solids
- 1 tsp baking powder
- olive oil for greasing
- 100 gms caster sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the fan oven to 170°C.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 20cm spring form cake tin with olive oil, line with grease proof paper.
- Use a Y-shaped peeler to peel the beetroot (you might want to wear gloves to do this), then quarter them on a chopping board. Push the beetroot through the coarse grater attachment on the food processor, then tip into a large bowl. Chop any large pieces of beetroot with a knife.
- Separate the white from yolks and put into two large bowls.
- Stir the sugar, ground almonds, baking powder, cocoa powder, egg yolks, beetroot and mix together well.
- Break 200g of the chocolate up into small pieces and add to a heatproof bowl and microwave on low heat until melted add this to the egg and beetroot mixture and stir well.
- Use an electric hand whisk to whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- Use a spatula to fold a quarter of the egg whites into the beetroot mixture to loosen, then once combined, fold in the rest but try not to over mix.
- Add the mixture to the prepared cake tin and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the hot oven for around 30 – 35 minutes, or until risen and cooked through.
- Leave it to cool before removing from the cake tin.