Filling Ideas for Pancake Day
- Spinach and ricotta pancakes with a tomato basil sauce- finely chop an onion and fry in 1 tbsp of olive oil and after 2 minutes add 2 cloves finely chopped garlic and continue to fry. Add the 150 g wilted spinach which has been finely chopped or use frozen spinach which has been defrosted and has had all the water squeezed out before adding to the onion mixture. Cook for a couple of minutes and ten remove from heat. Stir in one tub of ricotta cheese. Add 25 g flaked almonds. Fill 4 pancakes with this filling and roll up and place in a roasting dish cover with tomato sauce and bake in the oven on 180 for 10 minutes. Serve hot with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bolognese sauce filled pancakes with a white sauce.
- Roasted butternut squash, peppers and onions filled pancake with a cheese sauce. Cube butternut squash 2 cm and place in roasting pan, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and add 2 cloves chopped garlic. Cut 2 red peppers into strips and add to roasting pan. Roast in the oven on 180 fan for 30 minutes. Add roughly chopped onion to the roasting pan after 15 minutes and mix well and return to the oven. Fill pancakes with filling and serve with or without white sauce.
- Pancake filled with tinned pear and ice cream drizzled with a chocolate sauce
- Whole wheat blueberry pancake served with ice cream ( substitute wholewheat flour in place of the white flour in the recipe below and add 150 g blueberries to mixture)
- Pancake with coconut and toasted nuts served with ice cream and chocolate sauce
Recipe for Basic Pancake Mix
100g plain flour
Two large eggs
One of tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil, plus a little extra for frying lemon wedges to serve (optional)
1. Put the flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth batter. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest if you have time, or start cooking straight away.
2. Set a medium frying pan or crepe pan over a medium heat and carefully wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper. When hot cook your pancakes for one minute on each side until golden, keeping them warm in a low oven as you go.
3. Serve with lemon wedges and sugar, or any of the fillings above.