Blood Soup! Roasted beetroot and apple
In this recipe I have roasted the soup which makes it really easy and helps to intensify the flavours further. Delicious on its own or with warm crusty bread.
Beetroot is a wonderful superfood which has a rich earthy and sweet taste. It also has many health benefits which are listed below.
450 – 500 g beetroot
3-4 eating apples
1 vegetable stock cube
1.5 litres water
- Peel and roughly cut beetroot into 3cm by 2 cm pieces. Place in a large roasting pan drizzle olive oil on top and season with pepper and salt. Mix well. Roast in oven for 25 minutes on fan 180. After 15 minutes remove pan from oven and turn cut beetroot mixing well and return to oven along with dissolved stock cube and water.
- Wash and core apples and chop into 3 cm by 2 cm pieces soak in a bowl of water until ready to use. Add to roasting pan after 25 minutes. Roast beetroot and apple mixture for further 10 minutes.
- Pour roasting pan contents into large sauce or stock pan. Puree using hand blender adding extra water if too thick and further seasoning if desired.
- Serve soup with a dollop of crème fraiche if desired.
Benefits to Eating Beetroot
- Helps in detoxification: It detoxifies your body by pulling the toxins into the colon from where they can be evacuated. Some studies suggest that beetroot juice might also stimulate red blood cell production and build stamina.
- Low in fat and calories: Although it has a high sugar content, it is low in calories and almost fat free. Since it is loaded with fibre it makes you full on lower calories. This makes it a nutritious option for those looking to keep their weight down.
- Heart health: Studies have shown that the high content of nitrates in beetroot produces a gas called nitric oxide. This gas helps to relax and dilate your blood vessels which improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure.
- Rich in antioxidants: Betanin, the pigment which gives beetroot its colour, is a potent antioxidant. Antioxidants reduce the oxidation of bad cholesterol, protect the artery walls and guard against heart disease and stroke.
- Folate, Fibre, Vitamin C and other minerals; helps to smooth digestive functions. It is particularly high in protein and iron, more than most other roots and tubers.