Wouldn’t you like to be able to serve a dessert which has the ‘wow’ factor? The great thing about the Christmas rose is that it looks stunning and is tasty too but more importantly it can be made in advance so on the ‘big’ day all you need to do is bake it in the oven before serving.
The soft apple contrasts beautifully with the crispy puff pastry which is sandwiched with some minced meat giving it some added sweetness and flavour. Delicous served with vanilla ice cream- your guests will be impressed!
Only 4 basic ingredients are required, it is the assembly of the rose that takes the time and it can’t be rushed- if you want them to turn out looking like roses! It’s definitely an activity which is going to help you relax and unwind as you need to be fully focussed on the process.
I jar mince meat
1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
2 large red apples
Bottle lemon juice
2. Cut apple into 2 mm slices. Place on a large plate and cover each slice with lemon juice. Spread slices over plate and microwave on high for one minute and then check to see if it has softened increase by 30 seconds and repeat until all apple slices cooked through but still firm.
3. Roll out pastry and cut into 6 equal pieces by folding whole rectangle pastry into half and then into thirds cut with kitchen scissors.
5. Over lap apple slices on the edge of the pastry strip about 1.5 cm from the top. Place small line of mincemeat under apple slices. Take care not to put too much mincemeat.
6. Fold pastry over the mincemeat and bottom of the apple slice. Seal end with water and press firmly.
7. Roll up pastry with apple and mincemeat to create rose and dampen end with water and press to seal.